The Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2018 report is here, and there’s plenty to discuss. Chris Potter is a Senior Advisor of the report, authorized by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) and the Urban Land Institute (ULI), and he joins us to review the findings.
Topics covered include:
- Top 5 cities to watch.
- The effect today’s youth are having on the residential market.
- We explore the Expected “Best Bets” for 2018.
- The need to reinvent through technology.
- Sentiment around capital and taking a more risk-adjusted approach.
- How safety & security in Canada is driving activity.
- Affordability: Is real estate appreciation outpacing income?
- Cautious optimism vs Defensive optimism.
- The sell off of non core and secondary market assets.
- Why foreign investment will continue to seek assets in Canada.
- Interest rate: where they’ve been and where they’re going.
- Chris’ most eye-opening finding from this year’s report.
- How changing household formation will affect commercial real estate.
- The positive results for the country’s high profile malls and urban high street retail.
- The concept of the 18 Hour City and the Canadian cities that resemble them.
- Why suburban office isn’t in favour.
- How investors are managing risk in 2018.
- “Capital is getting smarter and a little more discerning.”
- The reasons for the optimism in Winnipeg.
Read the full Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2018 report
A bit about our guest…
Chris Potter is a Partner at PwC where he serves as the National Leader Real Estate Tax Practice. Chris has nearly 30 years of experience advising public and private real estate clients. He has extensive experience in effective tax planning for the acquisition, ownership, leasing and disposition of real estate, structuring and restructuring limited partnership and joint venture arrangements, tax-assisted financing arrangements, structuring tax effective non-resident real estate investment, and the creation and merging of real estate investment trusts (REITs).
Chris’ real estate clients are involved in residential, industrial and commercial development and the ownership of office, industrial and residential properties. Chris has authored numerous articles, has been published in the Canadian Tax Journal and has spoken at many conferences and seminars.
Chris’ notable clients include Allied Properties REIT, Agellan Commercial REIT, Canadian Apartment Properties REIT, Edgefront REIT, Empire Communities Group, Mattamy Homes Limited, Morgan Stanley Investment Management, R&R REIT, The Sorbara Group and CNL Lifestyles Properties, Inc.
Connect with Chris Potter on LinkedIn