For the second time, we’re joined by President and CEO of The Federation of Rental-Housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO), Tony Irwin. His first appearance came early on in his role at FRPO, so he shares how the oranization has grown over the past few years.
Tony gets into the effects of the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic on the apartment industry, speaking to the difficulties that both tenants and landlords are experiencing. He also talks about challenges in the supply of apartments and what he’d like to see to combat this issue.
Topics covered include:
- Recent escalation of activity from tenant organizations.
- Data collection during the first few months of the pandemic.
- The industry coming together to work for the greater good.
- The concern of arrears never getting paid back and other tenant challenges.
- Moving forward with the Landlord and Tenant Board’s systems in place to solve disputes.
- What happens when there’s a COVID-19 outbreak in an apartment building.
- Impacts on rents and vacancy rates in the marketplace.
- The possible speed of recovery in the Greater Toronto Area.
- Advocating for less red tape when building apartment units.
- Acknowledgement of the supply issue by governments.
- Conversations that need to happen in society about housing.
More about our guest…
Tony Irwin is President & CEO at the Federation of Rental-housing Providers of Ontario. Before joining FRPO, Tony was President & CEO with the Canadian Consumer Finance Association; a national trade association representing businesses that provide a range of financial product to Canadians.
Previously, Tony was Vice President, North American Government Affairs, with Dollar Financial Group, Inc., where he served as Chairman of the Canadian Payday Loan Association and was active with the Community Financial Services Association of America. From March 2009 to July 2012 Tony was Manager of External Affairs & Consumer Relations with Allstate Insurance Company of Canada, where he implemented a national government relations strategy and served as official company spokesperson.
Prior to joining Allstate, Tony served as Executive Director of the Justin Eves Foundation, a non-profit organization granting scholarships and bursaries to learning-disabled and disadvantaged young people to assist them to achieve a post-secondary education. Tony has also held key political roles and was Senior Advisor to an Ontario Premier and Executive Assistant to the Leader of the Official Opposition.
Check out Tony’s previous appearance: http://commercialrealestatepodcast.com/tony-irwin-frpo/
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
Episode sponsor is Wyse Meter Solutions.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.