Frank Magliocco is back in this episode to break down all the findings of the heavily researched Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2022 report. He is a partner in the Audit and Assurance Group of PwC Canada, and has been on the podcast to discuss emerging trends for several years in a row.
After giving a background on the methodology used in the report, Frank reveals the three main themes this year: the changing world of work, the prominence of ESG, and the impact of costs and competition.
Topics covered include:
- The three broad themes seen in the past year.
- Why Frank thinks that flexibility in work is going to be key.
- The perfect storm created by competition and pricing.
- Where investors are putting their money this year.
- Increasing interest in life sciences and healthcare real estate.
- Reasons to not mandate a 5-day work week that requires going into the office.
- A favourite quote of Frank’s from when the survey was administered in July 2021.
- Using office space to encourage collaboration.
- How ESG has evolved into a competitive advantage.
- The influence that consumers have in making ESG advances.
- Why prudence is the name of the game right now.
- Some assets becoming harder to underwrite.
- Parties that don’t have much motivation to focus on ESG.
- Labour, supply, and government issues that put stress on affordability.
- What developers are doing to improve labour problems.
- What has changed about the way the three levels of government work together.
Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2022: https://www.pwc.com/ca/en/industries/real-estate/emerging-trends-in-real-estate.html
More about our guest…
Frank Magliocco is a partner in the Audit and Assurance Group of PwC Canada working in the Toronto office. He is also the national leader for the Canadian Real Estate practice.
Frank specializes in auditing, accounting and regulatory matters for real estate companies. He provides advice to clients in the broad real estate sector including property developers, residential construction companies, large national office, industrial and retail property owners, and property managers. In addition, Frank’s experience in the real estate sector includes instructing courses at the Real Property Association of Canada (RealPac), where he is a member of RealPac’s Financial Best Practices Committee.
Frank began his career at PwC in 1989 and became a partner in 2001. Prior to focusing on real estate, he provided assistance with acquisitions, reorganization and debt and equity offerings to a number of private and public companies. He has significant experience with Canadian securities regulation, and has provided assistance with public filings.
Frank is a CA and holds a BComm from the University of Toronto.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.
Join the REF Club and get access to all of the amazing events the CRE Podcast is hosting on the platform.