We’re welcoming a doctor onto the show for the first time in CRE Podcast history. Matthew Trowbridge is the Chief Medical Officer of the International WELL Building Institute and Associate Professor at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. Melissa Jacobs, Senior Director of ESG at First Capital REIT, joins us as well.
Matthew and Melissa explain their perspectives on health and wellness in buildings. We hear their thoughts on why more and more tenants will demand WELL certification in the near future, along with why they’re both so passionate about health and wellness in our built environment.
Topics covered include:
- The increased interest from physicians towards our built environment.
- When First Capital started to think more about integrating health and wellness.
- How Melissa was first exposed to projects in green building.
- The health and wellness module of GRESB and why it was more successful than expected.
- First Capital’s portfolio and their involvement in sustainability.
- Why public health data made Matthew want to get involved with real estate.
- Solutions that are provided by WELL’s building standards.
- How WELL goes beyond traditional health metrics.
- Making health implementations the right financial choice for businesses.
- The WELL standard that First Capital implemented because of COVID-19.
- How the WELL safety rating was created for large real estate portfolios.
- Advice for beginning to implement health and wellness changes.
- What Melissa has in mind when thinking about new assets.
- The path ahead that Matthew sees for health and wellness in buildings.
More about our guests….
MD MPH, Chief Medical Officer
Matthew Trowbridge is a physician and scientist who says he’s happiest when integrating new ideas and approaches in his work. He’s currently focused on the impact of architecture, urban design and transportation on public health—and one of his personal passions is making sure people-first places are equitable, reaching as many people as possible around the world. Matt is an associate professor at the University of Virginia School of Medicine. He is principal investigator for the Green Health Partnership, a multiyear initiative between UVA and the U.S. Green Building Council to drive increased consideration of health and well-being in the real estate industry. He also is the co-founder and lead instructor for the UVA Medical Design Program. Matt is board certified in general pediatrics and preventive medicine, with medical and public health degrees from Emory University.
Senior Director, ESG
Melissa has over 15 years of experience in implementing a range of sustainability programs in both the commercial real estate, retail, and non-profit sectors. In her current role as Senior Director, ESG at First Capital REIT (FCR) she provides leadership and oversight of the Company’s ESG strategy and initiatives. Prior to joining FCR, Melissa gained experience in her roles with Bentall Kennedy, Sears Canada and the World Green Building Council. Melissa is active in several industry associations including the Canada Green Building Council (CAGBC), Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) and REALpac. Melissa received her Bachelor of Environmental Studies from York University.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.
Join the REF Club and get access to all of the amazing events the CRE Podcast is hosting on the platform.