Today’s episode is a Real Estate Forums webinar that Aaron and Adam recorded with John Duda. He is the President of Collier International’s Real Estate Management Services across Canada, which provides property and asset management to $17 billion in real estate. This gives John a great vantage point to all asset classes right across the country.
The discussion in this episode focuses on the impacts that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on real estate in Canada. John also looks to the future to share his recovery predictions, along with the strategies for reopening of certain building types.
Topics covered include:
- Preparation for COVID-19 thanks to insight from the Chinese operations of Colliers.
- Strategies being used to increase absorption.
- Types of tenants that have been requesting rent deferrals.
- The breakdown of Colliers’ real estate management portfolio.
- The performance of a mall in Richmond, BC that recently re-opened for business.
- Positive trends that John has seen in China.
- The exponential impact on the economy if lockdowns continue.
- The aid programs that John thinks have been the most useful for real estate.
- Looking for alternative revenue streams.
- The time frame for getting back to normal.
- Concerns about going back to work and the idea of permanently working from home.
- Precautions in place at shopping malls and collaboration between tenants and landlords.
- Believing that landlord will be reasonable in getting rent paid back.
- What makes Canada an attractive place to be right now.
More about our guest…
As President, John is responsible for creating value for investors by connecting high-performing teams across service lines to achieve superior asset returns. He has successfully developed REMS’ Asset Advisory Services program as well as platforms dedicated to Class A office and retail for necessity based and malls.
Working with leading real estate organizations for over 20 years in the areas of corporate real estate management, John has held a variety of progressive roles throughout his career, developing a strong reputation for consistently achieving strategic and organic ongoing business growth. This growth has been fueled by his passion for innovation and developing talent through a culture of collaboration.
His various roles throughout his career have honed his ability to manage large organizational changes, including assessing real estate service models, organizational structure, and service enhancements.