Today’s episode is a Real Estate Forums webinar that Aaron and Adam recorded with Jon Love. He is the Founder and CEO of KingSett Capital and was also appointed a member of the Order of Canada in 2018. He has navigated through several recessions in his career and now draws from those experiences as we find ourselves in the COVID-19 pandemic.
We hear about the one thing that Jon believes every crisis has in common and what differentiates COVID-19 from others. He talks about how certain assert classes will look on the other side of this and gives advice to people in real estate who haven’t experienced a recession before.
Topics covered include:
- Key moments and individuals in Jon’s trajectory to where he is today.
- Why Jon started KingSett.
- Surviving the first few crises that Jon has been through.
- Going on the offense during the pandemic.
- How KingSett is taking advantage of opportunities.
- Making headlines with the transactions KingSett is involved in.
- Balancing operating risk and financial risk.
- Jon’s opinion on real estate values when we get out of the pandemic.
- Sidewalk Labs ending their Quayside project in Toronto.
- How Jon is using his leadership to guide his team.
- The leadership attributes that Jon hasn’t seen enough of recently.
- How social distancing rules can impact the valuation of retail.
- The state of the Fairmont Royal York hotel in downtown Toronto.
- What Jon sees for industrial over the next five years.
- Two predictions for office space after COVID-19.
- The impressive work that Jon has witnessed from his team.
- How you can make a name for yourself right now.
For more commercial real estate content, visit the First National Commercial Resource Centre.
More about our guest:
Jon Love is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of KingSett Capital, Canada’s leading private equity real estate investment business co-investing with institutional and ultra-high net worth clients.
Jon was formerly President and CEO of Oxford Properties Group and serves on the Board of Directors of the Chief Executives Organization and is a member of the Business Council of Canada and YPO.