We are provided with a brief overview of blockchain technology, including Matthew’s thoughts on its use cases and recent bad press. He discusses real estate transactions that have already happened using cryptocurrency and how this technology can bring more investors into the space.
Topics covered include:
- The difference between blockchain and Bitcoin.
- Matthew’s opinion of JP Morgan getting involved in the cryptocurrency space.
- Limitations of using bitcoin or another cryptocurrency to actually make a transaction today.
- Real estate transactions happening in Bitcoin.
- Fractional ownership and its link to tokenization.
- Why resistance will come from the real estate industry towards using blockchain.
- How blockchain can lower the barrier of entry into real estate investments.
- The ways that the YIMBY project of Chris Spoke, who is Matthew’s brother and a previous guest on the podcast, could utilize blockchain.
- The aspect of real estate that Matthew thinks has the lowest barrier of entry for widespread use of blockchain.
- Using blockchain as a notary service.
- Programmed scarcity and the selling of digital land.
- Environmental impacts of cryptocurrency.
- Matthew’s closing thoughts on blockchain technology in the real estate industry.
Blockchain in Real Estate with Abhishek Sinha of Ernst & Young: http://commercialrealestatepodcast.com/abhishek-sinha-blockchain-real-estate/
A bit about our guest….
Matthew Spoke is the Founder of Aion, a world-leading blockchain protocol designed to solve the most prevalent challenges limiting blockchains mainstream adoption: Scalability, Interoperability and Governance. Prior to his current role, Matt founded Deloitte’s first blockchain team, Rubix, and is currently an active Founding Board Member of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance and a Founding Director of Blockchain Technology Coalition of Canada. Matt is a leading advocate for the potential social benefits of decentralized technologies and is working actively to establish fair and responsible rules and principles for the future governance of this important new industry. Matt believes blockchain is a revolutionary technology that will usher in a new future and economy based on abundance rather than scarcity.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the RealCapital Conference as part of our Forum Series.