In conjunction with the Canadian Real Estate Forum, our guest today is Michael Turner. A speaker at the 2020 Toronto Real Estate Forum, he is the president of Oxford Properties Group.
With 2020 being a challenging year for so many, Michael explains why people are integral in getting through the pandemic and why we will all become more savvy because of this experience.
Topics covered include:
- The 4 priorities of Oxford and the mindset behind them.
- Capital allocation shifts over the past few years.
- The first thing Michael did when he assumed a leadership role.
- How good people and leadership have helped Oxford through the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Where capital is being prioritized right now.
- The life sciences sector and why it can benefit when other assets struggle.
- Oxford’s preference to build operating businesses at scale.
- Managing a global business throughout the pandemic.
- The Fairmont hotels purchased by Oxford and their strategy for them.
- Takeaways from his time at CBRE and why he eventually left after 13 years.
- Michael’s view on social media and how he uses it for business.
- The outlook for 2021.
More about our guest…..
Michael Turner is the President of Oxford Properties Group. Oxford is a leading investor, manager and developer of high-quality real estate assets, with investments in offices, retail, logistics, multi-family and hotels. Oxford’s business comprises one of the world’s premier global portfolios, operating out of 17 gateway markets in eight countries around the world, and invests across the risk spectrum.
As President, Michael oversees Oxford’s $60-billion of assets under management, directing growth and investment strategies to execute Oxford’s mandate across a global platform. Michael leads a team of over 2,200 exceptional people who are committed to improving the cities and communities in which Oxford does business, while collectively helping to meet the pension promise of OMERS.
Michael holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of British Columbia, a Masters of Planning from Queen’s University, a Masters of Finance from the University of Toronto and is a CFA charter holder.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.