Today’s conversation was recored at a recent “ThinkIn” with the Canadian Real Estate Forums. The featured guests were Nick Gaganiaras, Vice President of Supply Chain & Logistics Consulting at Colliers International, while Alistair Pickering, Vice President of Industrial at Oxford Properties Group.
Our guests focus on real estate in Toronto and Vancouver, getting into the lack of supply and how assets in these cities are attracting a massive influx of tenants. We also hear about the increased growth of ecommerce in the past year and some unique challenges in Canada.
Topics covered include:
- Where the Canadian industrial marketplace stands today.
- Why Toronto and Vancouver might be the tightest industrial markets in North America.
- Flow of capital out of other segments and into industrial.
- The inflection point caused by lack of supply.
- Tenants being pickier about buildings due to increased rents.
- Future proofing industrial spaces.
- Multi-storey industrial in Toronto and Vancouver.
- Cold chain distribution
- The percentage of retail happening online in Canada and other countries.
- How much industrial square footage Canada needs to accommodate ecommerce.
- Geographical challenges that are present in Canada.
- Amazon’s expansion in Toronto and the rest of the country.
- Barriers to matching client needs up with older buildings.
- The pros and cons of raising the roof on an older industrial building.
- Why a low industrial vacancy rate hurts business growth.
More about our guests…..
Alistair Pickering has over 30 years of collective real estate management and development experience in Canada and Europe. He is responsible for managing Oxford Industrial’s national property management and leasing operations to ensure seamless service delivery. Prior to joining Oxford in 2009, Alistair held leadership positions as Development Manager with Panattoni Development Company and Head of Property for a division of ICI Paints.
Nick Gaganiaras, is the Executive Managing Director, Supply Chain Consulting at Colliers International where he brings an extensive background designing, implementing, and operating supply chains for automotive, high tech, healthcare, and consumer goods organizations, in addition to extensive experience in the point-to-point courier market and mission critical service parts fulfillment operations. Prior to joining Colliers, Nick’s previous experience included stints as Director of Supply Chain Solutions for Versacold, Director of Warehousing at 3PL Links, and several leadership roles with SCI Group.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.
Join the REF Club and get access to all of the amazing events the CRE Podcast is hosting on the platform in 2021.