Today we’ve got two fascinating guests who will give us a great look at the changes transpiring in commercial real estate: Paul Scialla and Brandon Crombeen. Paul is the Founder of both Delos and the International WELL Building Institute, while Brandon is the President of Delos Canada.
Paul and Brandon explain the WELL building standard, which combines real estate with personal well-being. We hear about how the pandemic has increased the public’s concern with indoor well-being and what it has been like expanding the global standard into Canada.
Topics covered include:
- The global reach of the WELL building standard.
- Indoor air quality and artificial lighting, and why they mattered even before the pandemic.
- Accelerating adoption of WELL building standards.
- The relation between Delos and the International WELL Building Institute.
- How it was decided that WELL would expand into Canada.
- Brandon’s background in the NHL and how he got into real estate.
- Paul’s 18 years on Wall Street prior to getting into real estate.
- How Paul got the idea to merge real estate with health and wellness.
- The increasing focus of ESG in real estate.
- How COVID-19 has made people realize that what’s around us matters.
- The two simplest implementations that any building can make.
- Localized filtration and why it’s better than any HVAC system.
- Return on investment from following WELL standards.
- Seeing wellness investments on buildings break even in 8 weeks.
- Where Brandon sees himself taking the company in Canada.
More about our guests….
After 18 years on Wall Street, including 10 at Goldman Sachs as a Partner, Paul Scialla’s interest in sustainability and altruistic capitalism led him to found Delos, which is merging the world’s largest asset class – real estate – with the world’s fastest growing industry – wellness. Since the company’s inception, Paul has become a leading voice in the wellness and sustainability movements, serving as a keynote speaker at prominent green building, real estate, and technology forums and conferences around the world.
Paul is also the Founder of the International WELL Building Institute (IWBI), which administers the WELL Building Standard® globally to improve human health and wellbeing through the built environment, a member of the Board of Directors for the Chopra Foundation, and a founding board member of the JUST Capital Foundation. Paul graduated from New York University with a degree in finance, and he currently resides in New York City.
Brandon Crombeen, President, Delos Canada
As the President of Delos Canada, Brandon is leading the expansion of Delos into the Canadian marketplace. Brandon works closely with leading Canadian organizations, Real Estate Owners / Developers, and Public Sector entities to help improve human health and wellbeing throughout the built environment.
Prior to becoming President of Delos Canada, Brandon was a Senior Vice President at Greybrook Realty Partners, a private equity firm with a portfolio of over $17 billion in projected in residential real estate value, and numerous investments in revolutionary healthcare businesses. At Greybrook Realty Partners, Brandon was responsible for business development, managing their Private Capital markets team and actively supported senior management in organizing acquisitions and facilitating other business transactions.
Prior to his career in real estate private equity, Brandon completed a 10-year professional hockey career playing for the Dallas Stars, St. Louis Blues, Tampa Bay Lightning and Arizona Coyotes. Brandon, a Type 1 Diabetic has long been involved with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) and has worked closely with many local chapters and their respective boards.
Brandon holds a Bachelor of Science and business degree with a concentration in finance from the University of Phoenix.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.