Alongside Aaron and Adam at the Global Property Market Forum in this episode is Peter Cuthbert. He is the President and Head of Global Real Estate at Fiera Real Estate. Before this role, Peter had several different job titles and brings us through his personal evolution.
Fiera made a crucial move after the last financial crisis that furthered their reputation. He discusses how Canada’s funds are managed in relation to ones in the UK before talking about the outlook some young people have on the real estate market.
Topics covered include:
- The growth of Fiera Real Estate.
- Ways that real estate investment is lagging behind other funds.
- What Peter heard from his peers every time he made a career move.
- Chasing opportunity, not title.
- How Peter ended up becoming President of Fiera Real Estate two years ago
- Learning how to run a fund from a UK operation.
- Differences between open-ended and close-ended funds.
- An important move by Fiera to build trust and reputation.
- Doing what you say you will do as a fund manager.
- Two other funds that got rolled into Fiera.
- A breakdown of the different types of funds at Fiera.
- How Canada’s fund management compares to that of the UK.
- Responding to new opportunities and needs in real estate.
- Attracting quality individuals through environmental efforts.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the Global Property Market Forum as part of our Forum Series.
For more commercial real estate content, visit the First National Commercial Resource Centre.
More about our guest:
Peter Cuthbert has been with Fiera Real Estate throughout their formative years and instrumental in the development and growth of the firm’s business. Prior to being promoted into the role of President in November of 2017, Peter was Chief Operating Officer with a focus on improving risk management and performance analytics and was also charged with the direct management of the Fiera Real Estate CORE Fund. He was instrumental in the rapid growth of the fund, including the successful deployment of investors’ committed funds. The business now manages more than $5B of AUM. The CORE Fund has surpassed the $2.5B mark for assets under management and has yielded top quartile returns to its investors. As President and Global Head of Real Estate, his focus is on the global expansion and evolution of the Real Estate Investment Management business.