Scott Ullrich sits down with Aaron and Adam today at the Western Canada Apartment Investment Conference in Edmonton. He is the Chief Executive Officer of Gateway Property Management, which is a family business started by his mother and father.
Scott shares his insights on property management across Canada as well as on specifically what Gateway does. He discusses the growing pains of establishing a presence in new markets and how Gateway attracts and retains great staff members.
Topics covered include:
- Gateway’s first expansion outside of Vancouver into Calgary.
- The visionary business partners that helped grow the business.
- The most difficult market that Gateway has entered.
- The total size of Gateway’s management portfolio.
- The differences between apartment and condo management.
- Management fee differences from province to province.
- Customizing property management and why it isn’t common.
- New proptech that Scott is seeing integrate into his business.
- Attracting great staff at Gateway and non-monetary perks of working at Gateway.
- How Gateway approaches landlords and offers their management services.
- What Scott thinks the minimum unit count is before someone should contemplate professional management.
- Scott was on a panel at the Western Canada Apartment Investment Conference and shares his takeaways.
- Downward pressure on rents in Edmonton and Calgary.
- What Scott does to maintain a positive corporate culture.
For more commercial real estate content, visit the First National Commercial Resource Centre.
More about our guest:
Scott Ullrich is the Chief Executive Officer of Gateway Property Management Corporation. Gateway is one of the largest property management firms in Canada, managing in excess of 30,000 units.
Prior to joining Gateway Property Management as Controller in 1983, Scott Ullrich was a Chartered Accountant with Deloitte, where he specialized in auditing, taxation and consulting for a variety of real estate management and development companies.
Scott is a Fellow of the Real Estate Institute of Canada and a Certified Property Manager through the Institute of Real Estate Management. Scott participates on several industry and non-industry association boards in the capacities of Director, Treasurer, Governor and President.
This episode of Commercial Real Estate Podcast powered by First National was recorded live at the Western Canada Apartment Investment Conference in Edmonton as part of our Forum Series.