It’s no secret that we love apartments. We talk about them a lot here on the CRE Podcast, and today we’re joined by Wendy Waters of GWL Realty Advisors to dig deeper into this asset class. Specifically, we’re looking at data points from markets across Canada, with a focus on the largest markets – Toronto and Vancouver.
Aside from these two cities, GWL Realty Advisors also invests in select smaller markets across the country. Wendy explains the factors that would go into a decision like this, plus we hear the results of surveys and research indicating where people are looking for apartments and what amenities and features they’re willing to pay for.
Topics covered include:
- Effects of high rental prices
- Metrics for deciding whether or not to proceed with a development.
- Data points on the apartment rental market in Canada, particularly in Toronto and Vancouver.
- Factors considered when choosing markets outside of the two largest cities
- Smaller market vs. larger market developments and opportunities.
- Renting from a purpose-built rental landlord compared with an individual condo owner.
- What people are willing to pay for in a new vs. old build; amenities like dog washing, pools, common areas, in-suite laundry, etc.
- Changing trends in how much space renters want and the things they value.
A bit about our guest….
Wendy Waters is a multidisciplinary researcher, writer and real estate investment strategist. Her unique background allows her to blend research methodologies from economics, demography, anthropology, history, finance and marketing into strategic analysis to support superior real estate decision making. Top-down, bottom-up, macro and micro perspectives further round out the approach that distinguishes her work within the industry. She currently leads the Research Services & Strategy team at GWL Realty Advisors.
GWL Realty Advisors is one of Canada’s leading real estate investment advisors, providing comprehensive asset management, property management, and specialized real estate services to pension funds and institutional clients.
Wendy Waters on LinkedIn