Our guest today is Colin Baryliuk, Executive Managing Director of Investments at KingSett Capital. He has been with the company since 2008 and he shares how tthe company has grown and evolved over that time.
We learn about the different funds managed by KingSett, their investment strategies and yield targets. Colin explains the biggest drivers in the success of the funds he manages along with where he sees great opportunity for real estate investment.
Topics covered include:
- The profiles of the funds managed by Colin and KingSett.
- Where the boundary lies for the growth fund due to risk tolerance.
- The IRR threshold that Colin uses to measure a successful investment.
- Why it’s so important to be fast when pivoting.
- The foundation of values instilled at KingSett.
- Doubling equity every 5 years.
- Never saying “no” to a meeting.
- Three aspects that are critical to KingSett’s capital deployment.
- The acquisition target for KingSett’s growth fund.
- Reasons why the interest rate usually does not greatly affect returns.
- A value-add opportunity that Colin is excited about.
- Investing in data centres.
More about our guest…..
Colin Baryliuk is the Executive Managing Director, Investments at KingSett Capital, Canada’s leading private equity real estate investment business co-investing with institutional and ultra-high net worth clients seeking to provide sustainable premium risk weighted returns through its various fund strategies. Colin is responsible for sourcing, structuring and negotiating the acquisition and disposition of real estate opportunities across Canada.
Founded in 2002, KingSett has raised $12.3 billion of equity for its Growth, Income, Urban, Mortgage and Affordable Housing strategies. KingSett owns interests in a $19 billion portfolio of assets. KingSett continues to seek further opportunities to invest in a wide range of real estate properties, developments, joint ventures and mortgage lending.
Colin was formerly Vice President at BMO Capital Markets Real Estate Group, where his role included real estate brokerage, mergers and acquisitions, due diligence and valuation in all asset classes throughout North America.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.
Join the REF Club and get access to all of the amazing events the CRE Podcast is hosting on the platform in 2021.