Derek Lobo started in the apartment business wanting to help apartment owners make more money. While his roles have changed over the years, his goal has never changed. In this episode, we discuss apartment construction and development across Canada. We discuss feasibility studies, determining what to build and where, amenities, how to properly show apartments, and much more.
Topics covered include:
- Feasibility studies.
- Predicting lease-up periods for new build apartments.
- The 3 markets experiencing out-sized new build apartment growth.
- Condo vs Apartment profitability.
- Development yields in small vs large markets.
- The declining necessity of parking.
- The 4 key drivers of rental rates.
- The importance of year one rents for new build apartments.
- Purpose-built rentals; determining what to build and where.
- Alternative metrics for measuring the value of an apartment building.
- How to properly show apartments to potential renters.
In the news….
A bit about our guest….
Derek Lobo is the CEO and Broker of Record at SVN Rock Advisors. He is regarded as a knowledgeable expert in the Student Housing Field and in the Apartment Industry and has provided numerous seminars and training programs for every level of apartment professional, ranging from owners and property managers to leasing agents and on-site personnel. His extensive knowledge of the industry has placed him as an in-demand presenter and consultant throughout North America.
Email: Derek.Lobo [at] SVN.com
Derek Lobo: LinkedIn