Development land in major Canadian markets is in dwindling supply and ever increasing in value. We are joined by Jeremiah Shamess, a development land specialist with Colliers International, to discuss. Here are the highlights;
- The subjective nature of determining land value.
- Sourcing new land opportunities. “If it hasn’t had an unsolicited offer on it, it’s probably not a good parcel of property”.
- The push for mid-rise development.
- Luxury mid-rise developments targeted at down-sizers (article).
- Land assemblies, including a recent transaction completed by Jeremiah.
- Land banking in the GTA.
- Jeremiah’s role as a “land quarterback” for his clients.
- Types of land finance – lenders, VTB, private.
- Environmental issues – one of the few things that will absolutely kill the financing of a property.
- “There is a glut of capital in the market and everybody wants to control property in downtown Toronto”.
- The types of foreign buyers in the market, and the answer isn’t what you think.
In the News…..
A bit about our guest….
Jeremiah advises land owners and property owners on highest and best value through proper sale of lands. Land and redevelopment land dispositions & acquisitions specialist in the Greater Toronto Area, with a particular concentration on residential development land sites: low, medium and high density.
With capabilities in:
•Historic Property Re-positioning
•Land Assembly Strategies
Jeremiah Shamess LinkedIn
A bit about Colliers International…..
Colliers International is Canada’s largest commercial real estate services company, providing a full range of services to real estate occupiers, developers and investors. Services include brokerage, real estate management, valuation, consulting, project management, project marketing and research. Through a culture of service excellence and a shared sense of initiative, Colliers Canada and our more than 1,700 professionals integrate the resources of real estate specialists across Canada to accelerate the success of our clients.