Today, Frank Magliocco is back for his third appearance on the podcast. He is the National Real Estate Leader at PwC Canada. Frank is here to discuss key insights from the Emerging Trends in Real Estate 2021 report that was recently published by PwC and the Urban Land Institute.
Unsurprisingly, this year’s trends have been impacted greatly by the COVID-19 pandemic and yet some of the core fundamentals remain unchanged. Frank touches on why investor sentiment was so divergent for 2021, along with the positives and negatives of investment in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.
Topics covered include:
- Uncertainty in the marketplace and its effect on buy/hold/sell ratings.
- Why interviewees for the report felt positive overall.
- Changes to equity and debt availability in real estate.
- Opportunities in alternative assets, including life sciences.
- Migration out of Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver.
- Genuine action regarding environmental, social, and governance.
- Maintaining business continuity in a crisis.
- The impact COVID-19 has had on digitizing businesses and the use of proptech.
- Real estate disrupters.
- Using big data to make better investment decisions.
- Issues for real estate in 2021 that weren’t in the report last year.
- E-commerce penetration rates in Canada.
- Looking at secondary markets to invest in.
- Closing thoughts on the overall theme of the report.
More about our guest…
Frank Magliocco is a partner in the Audit and Assurance Group of PwC Canada working in the Toronto office. He is also the national leader for the Canadian Real Estate practice.
Frank specializes in auditing, accounting and regulatory matters for real estate companies. He provides advice to clients in the broad real estate sector including property developers, residential construction companies, large national office, industrial and retail property owners, and property managers. In addition, Frank’s experience in the real estate sector includes instructing courses at the Real Property Association of Canada (RealPac), where he is a member of RealPac’s Financial Best Practices Committee.
Frank began his career at PwC in 1989 and became a partner in 2001. Prior to focusing on real estate, he provided assistance with acquisitions, reorganization and debt and equity offerings to a number of private and public companies. He has significant experience with Canadian securities regulation, and has provided assistance with public filings.
Frank is a CA and holds a BComm from the University of Toronto.
Check out Courtney Cooper’s episode here.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
Episode sponsor is Wyse Meter Solutions.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.