We are welcoming Matt Picken, Head of Capital Markets for Canada at JLL, as our guest in today’s episode. In addition to being involved in the execution of investment transactions in every asset class, mentoring is another area that Matt is passionate about.
Matt goes over how the real estate market is performing today compared to the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, along with how he believes the future will look. With so much expertise in land transactions, he explains what types of land are popular right now before talking about the networking he facilitates.
Topics covered include:
- Why Matt doesn’t see any reason for cap rates to increase or rent to decrease.
- Networking in the age of COVID.
- Traditional industrial tenants who are now looking to buy property.
- Changes in tenant attitudes when looking for industrial space.
- Large institutions continuing to chase land that is close to transit.
- How smaller companies stay competitive when buying land.
- Optimism towards the market today versus the start of the pandemic.
- Why it’s way too early to think that office space is dead.
- Reverse migration happening to Canadian cities.
- The continued importance of transportation access.
- Matt’s accidental path that led him to real estate.
- The sense of care and community within the real estate industry.
- Changing buyer preferences and accommodating those desires.
- How Matt made connections in the early days of his career.
- The challenges Matt is seeing in trying to hire right now.
More about our guest…..
With over 20 years’ experience in commercial real estate advisory and investment banking, Matt has worked for many of North America’s leading investors – from pension funds and REITs to private equity funds and family owned firms. Over his career, he has been involved in more than $10B in transactions, advising on many of Canada’s largest development and income property transactions.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National.
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.
Join the REF Club and get access to all of the amazing events the CRE Podcast is hosting on the platform in 2021.