“There is no bulletproof tenant” says Sandy Shindleman, President & CEO of Shindico, a commercial real estate and investment management company based in Manitoba. This highlights the need for diversification and keeping assets fresh. Sandy discusses the Winnipeg market, how Amazon and online shopping is affecting retail space, and the types of properties his company is investing in.
Topics covered include:
- The Winnipeg market and its new developments and key drivers.
- NAICS (North American Industry Classification Codes) – how to use them for asset management.
- Diversification as a hedge against retail.
- The importance of keeping assets and tenants fresh.
- The challenges of mix-use buildings.
- “Succeeding is ok” and what that means to the Shindico philosophy.
- Opportunities in self-storage space, and its demand in Canada vs the U.S.
- Transitioning to “destination malls”.
- Capitalizing on office tenant movement in the downtown core.
In the news….
A bit about our guest…
Sandy’s designations include CCIM (Certified Commercial Investment Member), SIOR (Society of Industrial and Office Realtors), CIPS (Certified International Property Specialist) and FRICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors Fellow). As a CCIM senior instructor (since 1980) Sandy has taught worldwide, served on the Board of Directors and is a past President of the CCIM Foundation.
Manitoba “Entrepreneur of the Year”, Sandy has presented worldwide for organizations including Urban Land Institute’s Barcelona Meeting Point, IREM, BOMA, and ICSC. Sandy is proud to have received the B’nai Brith Canada Award of Merit and The Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal, as well as the Susan J. Groeneveld, CCIM, Visionary Award and CCIM People’s Choice Award for Instructor of the Year.
Sandy is an advisor and asset manager for several Canadian Pension Funds and family offices. Shindico’s head office is a sustainable, energy-efficient environment, as is StorageVille Inc., of which he is also a founder.
Sandy is proud to have been able to contribute to The Shindleman Aquatic Centre in his home city of Portage la Prairie.
The mission statement of “Succeeding by Helping Others Succeed” is the cornerstone of his family’s success.
Sandy Shindleman LinkedIn