Our guest today is Alan MacKenzie, President of Triovest. Triovest is a fully integrated commercial real estate advisory and capital firm. Their approach to commercial real estate investment and management is to continually seek opportunities to improve and enhance properties to achieve their full potential. Triovest consists of three pillars: Triovest Realty Advisors, Triovest Capital, and Triovest Properties.
Alan gives insight to Triovest and how the company approaches asset management. We hear about how involved owners are when dealing with Triovest, what Alan sees currently happening in various asset classes, and how he changed the culture at Triovest to focus on employees and, in turn, their customers. Alan also shares advice for people who would like to get started in asset management and what investments he thinks are the most lucrative today.
Topics covered include:
- The history of Triovest and the mergers along the way.
- Thinking of an asset as a corporation and the mindset of Triovest’s asset managers.
- The involvement of property owners at Triovest.
- Triovest Realty Advisors, Triovest Capital, and Triovest Properties.
- The mission statement of Triovest.
- Using property technology to improve value for tenants.
- Differentiating brick-and-mortar retailers from online ones.
- A real-life example of Assetmax and the idea generation process.
- Alan’s growth into different asset classes.
- Acquiring property for Lowe’s and Walmart.
- The closure of many Rona locations in Canada.
- Triovest’s involvement and innovations with office space.
- The Venn diagram that Triovest uses when investing for clients.
- The outlook of investing in Alberta.
- How to start in asset management and thinking like an owner.
- Clients moving their asset management in-house.
- Passive asset management versus active asset management.
- What Alan would do if he were to start a new asset management company today.
A bit about our guest….
Alan Mackenzie is the President of Triovest Realty Advisors. He leads the Investments, Developments, Asset Management, Property Management and Leasing teams with responsibility for business strategy, execution and growth. Alan has specialized in commercial real estate for the past 30 years and has acted in the capacity of leasing, asset management, acquisitions, development management and joint venture arrangements for major clients. He has been involved in over $5B of acquisitions, 20,000,000 sq. ft. of leasing and 40,000,000 sq. ft. of asset management.