We have Amy Price joining us in this episode. She is the Managing Partner, Co-Head of US for BentallGreenOak. Given her position, Amy is able to provide us with a look at how real estate investing looks amidst the COVID-19 pandemic in the US and trends that might follow in Canada.
BentallGreenOak is active in many countries, but Amy explains why the US is of particular importance. She gives details on some of the biggest transactions that BGO has completed during the pandemic and discusses shifts that she has seen in demand for various asset classes. We also hear comparisons between the US and Canadian markets.
Topics covered include:
- The increase of investment activity in Canada and the US in Q4 2020.
- Seeing a pullback in leasing occupancy in the largest US markets.
- BGO’s rationale for purchasing a hotel during the pandemic.
- The merger of Bentall and GreenOak and why they complement each other well.
- Aspects that the US provides to BGO that other markets do not.
- Private market versus public market values for real estate.
- Giving prospective clients a choice in investments.
- Why BentallGreenOak is not driven by scale.
- Different strategies for investing in different asset classes.
- Fundamental changes in the demand for industrial real estate.
- Opportunities to access the debt markets.
- Amy’s career with Morgan Stanley.
- Continuing to see cap rate compression for industrial in the US.
- Trends that Amy sees in the US that might be on the horizon for Canada.
More about our guest….
Amy Price has responsibility for the operating and financial performance of BentallGreenOak’s US business and has direct oversight of transactions, asset management, and portfolio management. Amy focuses her time on the Core, Core Plus and Development parts of the business. Amy chairs the US Investment Committee for BGO Diversified and Separate Account Clients, co-chairs the US Management Committee, and is a member of the BGO Global Coordination Committee.
Prior to joining BentalGreenOak in 2012, Amy was a Managing Director and Head of Real Estate Investing for the Western United States at Morgan Stanley, where she was an Investment Committee member and built the real estate investment management business in San Francisco. Amy also spent time in Morgan Stanley’s New York and Hong Kong offices.
Amy is member of the Board of Directors of the National Association of Real Estate Investment Managers (NAREIM) and member of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) Global Board of Directors in addition to being a Governing Trustee of the ULI.
Amy holds an MBA with Distinction from The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania and graduated magna cum laude from Colgate University.
The CRE Podcast is powered by First National
In partnership with Canadian Real Estate Forums.